Monday, May 5, 2014

4 Car Caravan. Humbled. Flash Mob.

Hey to Y'all! 

What a wonderful week!  As it truly always is in the work of the Lord.  Somehow the ups and downs and all arounds come and they go and you remember the UPS and the others don't really matter!  It sure was a great week!  :) 

We met this lady in a parking lot this past week and set up a return appointment.  When we went to the appointment she told us that she was very busy and really only had about 20 minutes.  She then went on to say that when we first started talking to her she wasn't going to let us come visit her.  But she said she felt something.  She said that "my spirit connected to yours and I felt something different.  I couldn't say no when you asked to come visit me."  How humbling it is to recognize the power of the Spirit of God.  What it can do to a person's heart.  What is can teach them.  If they have an open heart and a willing mind and are able to receive it and listen to the prompting.  We had a great lesson with Ester and I am so thankful God placed her in our path.  Or us in her path.  Whatever way it works.  It works.  :) 

We had dinner with a member this past week. Sister Sy from the Philippines.  She is a wonderful woman!  Super wonderful!  :) We had a couple of great experiences with her this week.  After dinner (which was food from her country, of course) we had a lesson on family history work.  As we asked her how her family history work is coming along, I was inspired beyond inspired at her efforts.  She told us about buying a plane ticket to China (that is where her husband is from) and going to China and hiking over a mountain and through a river to meet his family and collect information and stories and family history.  And then she returned to her lodging that night.  And then the next day (her last day) she make the trip again.  Over the mountain.  Through the river.  I am dead serious when I say this stuff.  I know it sounds totally "made up".  Don't fear.  Missionaries can't lie.  This is the total truth!  This woman is amazing.  Did I mention that?  We can't even get most of the members to sit on their comfy couch at home with their I-Pad's to do family history work.  And Sister Sy is just flying to China and hiking clear to kingdom come.  Love her!  And then after the lesson we went upstairs and visited a friend of hers!  She had met him outside a few days before and really felt that he needed the Book of Mormon.  She rang the doorbell.  And we waited.  And waited.  And nobody came.  So she rang the doorbell again.  And we waited.  And she rang the doorbell again - a couple times this round.  And then we waited.  Nobody came.  And so she rang the doorbell again.  Twice.  And then we waited.  And she rang the doorbell again.  Three times this round.  Hahaha!  Sister Williams and I were almost in tears from laughing so hard on the inside!  Sister Sy was so persistent!  9 times she rang the doorbell!  9 times brothers and sisters!  Now if that doesn't tell you the church is true, I don't know what does!  :) Love her.  Love members of the church!  They make me so happy!  The church is true.  

The Velasquez Family is another solid family out here!  They are the ones that live in our apartment complex.  And are in the other ward.  But since we live in the same complex we see them often!  :) We met with them and talked about The Family: A Proclamation To The World.  What a great experience that was.  Brother Velasquez's testimony on the power of family is so strong.  How blessed we are to have the understanding of the power of families and how central they are to God's plan.  So central.  

We had the most awesome and hilarious interaction this past week with this guy named Drake.  We had an appointment with somebody else who lives in his apartment but she wasn't there and so we got to talk with him.  He is a super spiritual guy.  And was actually quite spot on for many of the principles and doctrines he believes.  However... a little... unorthodox?  I don't know if that is the right word.  I don't even think there is a word.  It was just the most funny situation of my life!  We said a prayer at the beginning and I asked if it was okay if I said it.  He said that was fine.  And then he asked if at the end of my prayer if he could "add on to it".  Like I knew what that meant... so I just said yes... and went with it.  So when I finished the prayer and said "amen" he launched into the longest prayer of my life.  I am so serious right now.  It was near close to 10 minutes long.  I don't even know if I stayed awake for the whole thing.  I may have had time to take a little nap.  Maybe that's why I felt extra energized that day.. hmm... just kidding!  But in all for real and serious stuff ness.  It was long.  So long.  And then as we were headed out he started off on giving us dating and marriage advice and it just kept getting better and better!  I LOVE the people of Texas.  Love them.  And at the end, as we walked to the car... I felt so much charity for Drake.  So much charity.  Even though his rocker may be rocking a little bit and a lot. He's off his rocker.  He is still a son of God.  He is still my brother and your brother and our brother.  He is still important.  Charity is a powerful thing.  He is one of God's children. 

We called a member to see if she could come out teaching with us for an appointment this past week.  She wasn't available but she asked us what our plans were for the next day.  We told her we had a meeting in the morning and then we would be going out to work about noon.  And would end at 9:30 pm that night.  She told us that it was inspired that we called.  She was just trying to figure out what the punishment would be for her daughter who got suspended from school.  And spending the day with us (the missionaries) was the perfect solution.  Haha!  We were the punishment.  We were laughing pretty hard when we hung up the phone.  She ended up only coming out with us for a few hours because she had a job interview.  But it was still funny!  I think the mom just understood the power of service more than anything and what it can do to a person's heart.  I would love to be "punished" and get to spend the day with the missionaries!  Sign me up anytime!  I truly love this place.  Love Alief.  Love my life!

The members here feed us so much!  We went over to help Sister Gaither clean her room the other day and afterwards on our way out they started towards the pantry and before we knew it we were headed out the door with a cooler FULL of food and half a dozen bags of cans of food and crackers and chips and rice and all kinds of yummy food!  The Lord sure does take care of us.  So much!  I love this ward.  The people here have so little but they are so giving.  They are so humble.  And it is truly inspiring to be around and witness their faith in action.  

We got to help out with the scripture mastery scripture chase this past week for the Houston South Stake!  It was so awesome!  There were 6 sets of missionaries there and we did a flash mob for "Book of Mormon Stories" right after the opening prayer!  It was awesome blossom possum!  :) SO MUCH FUN! As they did the scripture chase I was so impressed by the youth.  They are strong!  Some of them knew their scripture mastery left and right.  It was so incredible to see.  The youth are our future and they are incredible!  I was overwhelmed by the Spirit as I witnessed these powerhouse youth fully and actively engaged in the Gospel!  

As the week ended yesterday night I was overwhelmed with humility.  So very humbled.  I have found throughout my mission that I go out every day with my companion(s) and we work hard.  We serve the Lord.  We do our best.  And it is never enough.  But that is okay.  We do all that we can do and listen to the Spirit and talk to everyone we see and ask for referrals and seek after an eye single to God's glory.  We work work work work work work (hence why it is called missionary WORK) all day long.  All week long.  Day after day and week after week and month after month.  And God is aware.  This week at church we had the most incredible experience I have had on my mission.  We went to pick up some investigators for church (so they could follow us in their car to the building).  When we arrived at 10:25 am (they were expecting us at 10:30 am) they were in the car, all ready to go.  The mom (Taye) and her 3 young boys.  She told us she had some friends that wanted to come also.  And so they followed us around the corner and then her friends started following us as well.  As we drove to church yesterday, we led a 4 car caravan.  3 cars behind us.  Full of faithful children of God.  From Africa.  It was amazing.  They came into sacrament meeting and took up 4 of the side pews all by themselves. Taye had to leave early to take her husband to work but the other family that came with her stayed.  And they loved it.  She was overwhelmed by the Spirit in Relief Society and had tears rolling down her cheeks as we talked about the Book of Mormon.  The church is true.  God always provides.  And we did NOTHING to deserve it.  Nothing even close.  I am so humbled to do this work.  So humbled.  

In my life I have felt weighed down by sorrow many times but I have also been lifted up by hope.  And that hope is what I hang onto every single day.  That hope that is found in the Savior and his Atonement.  For all of God's children.  

I love you all so much!  

Sister Kunzler   

No comments:

Post a Comment