This week was very exciting and eventful! I spent 3 days in 3 different areas across the mission! My companion (Sister. Williams) stayed in our area and did incredible! :) I was so proud of her and so thankful for her! The exchanges were wonderful and I sure learned a lot! One of the exchanges was back to Hermann Park North (my first area) for a day! It was wonderful to be there. We went to visit a less active member on the list and started talking to the men out front who were contractors painting the house and found out that one of them is a member! He joined the church in Honduras and moved to Houston a few years ago and has never found the church again until he met us! It was a big testimony builder to me that if we will do what the Lord has asked, He sends us where we need to be to help the people who are in need. I know this is true in everything we do! Every day. Whether a full time missionary or not. :) I also spent a day with Sister. Sellers who is a sister I have known almost my whole mission and just absolutely love. We are the best of friends and it was great to be with her for the day. I also got to spend a day with Sister Thompson! My old companion! That was of course wonderful! God blessed me so much this week. :) I am one lucky sister missionary. While on exchange with Sister Thompson we met with a less active sister who had an incredible life story. As she spoke I was filled with gratitude for the individual plans that God has for each of us. She told us that her goal in life is to make people smile and to help them forget about their worries if only for a second. She sure did that for me. I love seeing that God doesn't just bless the people that we serve but He also blesses us so much.
As you remember from last week, Sister Kunzler enjoys chocolate. Well, I also enjoy very much Dairy Queen! Their frozen hot chocolate and blizzard's are quite frankly the best! I have never had a Dairy Queen in my area and in my current area I have one that is just half a block out of my area (therefore, we can't go there). It's very similar to torture for me... to see it right there and not be able to go. Just right out of my reach. Let me tell you something though, God is so good! On two of the exchanges this week, there were DQ's in their area! Yahoo! :) So once again I was blessed with little silly (but important to me) miracles As we all are. I got to enjoy a frozen hot chocolate one day and a few days later a blizzard! So blessed in life. :)
We taught a little 8 year old boy this week about prophets! And we were trying to figure out how we could help him understand it and make it exciting for him! We received some awesome revelation! We compared prophets to super heroes! It was so much fun! The little boy LOVED it. By the end of the lesson he thought prophets were the best thing on planet earth. Even better than super heroes! Little kids are my favorite! They are so humble and submissive and receptive to the spirit to teach them. :) They make my life.
We got the chance to put together a youth activity in our ward this past week. It was the Mini Alief Missionary Training Center. It went awesome! I wasn't actually able to attend due to the exchange I had to go on, but I heard it went great and the youth and leaders and church members of the ward really enjoyed it! What a great time to be a member of the Savior's church! Things sure are gearing up. :) Nowhere to go but forward from here.
We met with a less active sister this past week who joined the church almost 2 years ago. She is struggling to read the scriptures on a daily basis. As we taught her I bore testimony of the influence the scriptures have had in my life and it was such a powerful reminder for me. I realized that my testimony of the scriptures is the strongest it has ever been. All growing up it was very difficult for me to read the scriptures because I just plain didn't understand them and I wasn't "converted" to the fact that it was a commandment from God. My mission has allowed me the chance to read the scriptures every single day and it took about 9 months of my mission but I finally got to the point where I LOVE the Book of Mormon and I LOVE the Bible. My favorite time of the day is when I get to study the word of God. My favorite time of the day. I never knew I would be able to say that. I encourage any of you that are reading this letter to never give up. Even if you may not see the purpose or the need right now, I promise that as you diligently study the scriptures every single day God will bless you for it. And He will bless you with a love for them that you haven't had before. I love the scriptures. They are the word of God and there is much strength and guidance to be found in them.
Sister Erin Calvert is an awesome member of the Alief Ward! :) She comes out teaching with us all the time and always makes our day brighter. Yesterday she told me that I officially have a new name! It's RaKunzler. Get it? It's like the princess that has long blonde hair. But with "Kunzler" at the end. Not "punzel". Hahahaha. I love being a missionary. I love being surrounded by wonderful people who make you laugh. There is also a 15 year old girl in our ward who calls me and Sister Williams "blondes". Pretty sure she doesn't even know our names. But every single Sunday when we see her, we smile and wave (of course) and she, without fail, says in reply "Hey Blondies". Hahahaha. It makes me and Sister Williams smile and laugh every single time! :) We also were talking to this lady the other day and we gave her our phone number and she said "I am going to save you in my phone as "Sisters In Christ"" I love the people of Houston. I love Texas. I love God's children! :)
We were talking with this lady this past week and in the middle of our conversation she answers her phone. She proceeds to show annoyance with the person on the other line. She hangs up the phone after a few seconds and says "that's my friend, he wants me to help him get some marijuana". Hmm. I flat out asked her "do you think that is a sin?". She went on to shake her head "no" and I immediately followed by shaking my head "yes". She went on to explain that God doesn't notice things like that and to tell us that she isn't the one smoking it. It's her friend that wants it. Not her. She didn't see anything wrong with it. I was blown away. Then this morning as I was reading in the Book of Mormon I came across a verse that explained it perfectly. It is found in 2 Nephi 28:8. "And there shall also be many which shall say: eat, drink and be merry; nevertheless, fear God - he will justify in committing a little sin; yea, .... DIG A PIT FOR THY NEIGHBOR; there is no harm in this ..." Let me tell you something. The scriptures truly prophesy the future. I saw this scripture evident in a modern day woman. We live in a day and age where things are getting intense. As I ponder on conference I remember all the invitations that were given to us as members to prepare ourselves to have courage and to stand alone. Persecution is coming. We must prepare ourselves by becoming truly converted and making sure our homes are centered around the Savior. I invite all of you to reflect on where you are in this journey. The Second Coming is near. We must prepare. And the happy news is that we can. We know how and all we have to do is "Just Do It" (Sound a little like the Nike motto?). :)
I studied "light" a lot this past week. And focused on how the Savior is the ultimate source of light in our lives. In D&C 6:21 we read "I am the light which shineth in darkness". This scripture gives an implication that darkness does exist. But there is ALWAYS light, not just "at the end of the tunnel." May we all seek after the light of the Savior more fully in our lives.
The Last Days of Jesus Christ's Mortal Mission. What a very special time of year to ponder that much more on the Savior and all He did for each of us. The First Day was yesterday when Jesus Christ arrived at Jerusalem. He secured a donkey and a colt, and rode through the city gates into Jerusalem. A great multitude placed palm branches in his way and greeted him with a hosanna shout: (Matthew 21:9). He went directly to the temple, and according to Mark, took note of what He saw and retired to Bethany for the night. (Mark 11:11) Today is the Second Day. Early this day He went back to the temple. He drove from the outer courts those who were trading and making money exchanges from foreign currency. Jesus was in effect challenging the Jewish leaders' authority. Was the temple to be a place of worship of God or of pursuit of gain? (Matthew 21:13) Again that evening He returned to Bethany. The Third Day is tomorrow. Jesus' wrath in the temple angered the Jewish leaders. They challenged his authority. Jesus openly denounced them and condemned them as hypocrites. Perceiving that Jesus had the upper hand, the Jewish leaders planned how they might bring about His death. They would have to move quickly before the Passover to avoid a riot because of Jesus' popularity with the Jewish people. An unexpected turn of events that took place solved their problem. One of Jesus' own disciples offered to betray Him. The Fourth Day. Jesus well knew of the plot. This day was spent outside the city, perhaps at Bethany. There is no record in the Gospels of the proceedings of this day. On the Fifth Day Jesus commemorated the Passover meal with the Twelve. Following the Passover meal, Jesus introduced a new ordinance, the Sacrament. (Luke 22:15-20). He then went with Peter, James, and John to the Garden of Gethsemane. (Matthew 29:36-46). He rejoined His apostles and indicated that his betrayer was at hand. While He spoke, an armed band led by Judas approached Jesus to seize Him. He went without resistance. He was brought to an illegal trial that night. On the Sixth Day the Savior was crucified. In the Bible we find his seven last statements. Luke 23:24. Luke 23:43. John 19:26-27. Matthew 27:46. John 19:28. John 19:30. Luke 23:46. The Seventh Day was the Jewish Sabbath. Jesus' body remained in the tomb, but in spirit He ministered in the realm of departed spirits. (1 Peter 3:18-20). The Day of Resurrection. Jesus was risen and was seen again by many witnesses. On the first day of the week, the most memorable Sunday in history, Jesus Christ emerged alive from His tomb (Matthew 28:1-7). May we all remember this week what the Savior did for us. And may we always ponder how we can show Him we love Him. There is a wonderful website and video dedicated to Easter. It can be found at http://easter.mormon.org/?cid= HPTU041514694 . Because of Him. I would check it out if I were you!
I love all of you. This week I have felt much urgency for all of us to be converted to the Gospel of Jesus Christ. We must be converted. Our homes and our lives must be centered on the Savior. When I get home from my mission I hope that I feel "weird" for the rest of my life and that I am never afraid to stand alone. No matter what persecution comes.
I pray for all of you each and every night. I thank you for your love and support. It helps so much!
With Love,
Sister Kunzler
No comments:
Post a Comment